Jason M. Shepard
College Park 400
Carol Ames, Jeff Brody, xtine burrough, Pamela Caldwell, Christina Ceisel, Thomas Clanin, Carolyn Coal, Jim Collison, David DeVries, Vanessa Diaz, Emily Erickson, Pete Evanow, Tony Fellow, Brent Foster, Dennis Gaschen, Beth Georges, Kuen-Hee Ju-Pak, Dean Kazoleas, Keith Kesler, Jeesun Kim, Cynthia King, Paul Lester, Gail Love, Michael McAlexander, Robert Meeds, Coral Ohl, Henry Puente, Jason Shepard, Andi Stein, Bonnie Sewart, Doug Swanson, Edgar Trotter, Diane Witmer, Mark Wu, Fred Zandpour
Effective ethical communications are essential for the well being of a democratic society. Thus, there is a need for persons trained in the theory and practice of informing, instructing and persuading through communications media.
Learning Goals and Student Learning Outcomes
The following goals and learning outcomes have been established for students pursuing a degree in communications:
- Demonstrate skills and knowledge for entry into professional practice and/or advanced academic programs
Critical thinking and research skills
- Apply critical thinking, research and analysis to meet personal, scholarly, and professional goals
Written and oral proficiency
- Demonstrate written and oral proficiency appropriate to the entry level of professional practice
Information technology skills
- Demonstrate effective use of communications tools and technologies appropriate to the entry level of professional practice
Theoretical foundations of communications
- Apply appropriate concepts, models and theories of communications to personal and professional situations
- Exhibit sensitivity to diversity through communications practices
Historical, legal and ethical foundations of communications
- Demonstrate a basic knowledge of historical, legal, and ethical issues that affect professional practices
Programs and Courses Offered
ProgramsBachelor of Arts
Master of ArtsNon-Degree
- Communications, Advertising Concentration, B.A.
- Communications, Entertainment and Tourism Communications Concentration, B.A.
- Communications, Journalism Concentration, B.A.
- Communications, Photocommunications Concentration, B.A.
- Communications, Public Relations Concentration, B.A.
Courses are designated as COMM in the class schedule.