May 21, 2024  
2016-2017 University Catalog 
2016-2017 University Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Human Services, B.S.

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Degree Programs

(120 UNITS)

The Bachelor of Science in Human Services requires 54 units in the major, including 36 units of required core courses, plus 18 units of adviser-approved courses related to one’s anticipated professional specialization.

Majors must achieve a “C” (2.0) or better in all courses included in the core curriculum and in the advisement track. It is the student’s responsibility to consult the department academic adviser at least once during each of her/his first two semesters on campus to develop a study plan identifying courses for the advisement track.

Community College Transfer Students

Community college transfer students may apply a maximum of 12 units of coursework in human services and related fields towards the total of 54 units. The 12 transferable units are included in the 70-unit maximum of total transferable units. Transfer of any units must be approved by the department adviser. For transfer students with a certificate in Substance Abuse, Domestic Violence or Gerontology, up to 18 units of coursework in human services may be applied to the total of 54 units.

Required Core Curriculum (36 Units)

Required Advisement Track (18 units)

In addition to the core, the human services degree program requires each student to select, in consultation with an adviser, an 18-unit advisement track in the area of her/his anticipated professional specialization:

Administration and Community Practice

For students wishing to pursue graduate study in social work administration policy, community organization and planning.

Elementary Education

For students who are planning carers in teaching elementary school. One of the admission requirements for the multiple subject credential program is to establish subject matter competency by passing the Multiple Subject CSET. In order to strengthen weak academic areas, students are advised to take courses in subject areas where they feel least prepared. Students may obtain further information regarding teaching credential requirements in the Center for Careers in Teaching (CCT), located in Education Classroom 379. The CCT website provides detailed information about the CSET and other credential admission requirements.


The Gerontology track is a valuable adjunct for students preparing to work directly or indirectly with older persons. Career opportunities are available in community agencies servicing the older adult, long-term care facilities and hospitals, senior citizen living facilities and community recreation and senior centers.

Mental Health

The Mental Health track offers emphases in either counseling and clinical social work, depending on the student’s educational and careeer goals, The track prepares students for entry-level postitions in a variety of settings and for graduate work in counseling, social work, clinical psychology or marriage and family therapy.

Additional Information

* Topics include gender issues, serving Spanish-speaking clients, serving the homeless, intimate partner violence, veterans and their families, human services and mixed-ancestry identity

With prior approval of an adviser, other courses may be included this this advisement track. Certain graduate programs require various classes as prerequisites for admission. See the Human Services adviser regarding these classes if you plan to apply for graduate school.

Persons with Disabilities

For students interested in serving, directly or indirectly, persons with disabilities and their families. The track prepares students to work in a variety of community agencies serving persons with disabilities. Academically, it assists in preparing students for entry into a special education teaching credential program and/or the master’s degree in special education.

Substance Abuse Treatment and Prevention

For students planning to work with drug/alcohol-dependent clients and their families. Once students complete a bachelor’s degree in Human Services with this track, they are eligible to take the California Association for Alcohol/Drug Educators Certification Exam.

Individualized Advisement Track

Students may develop their own track in consultation with the Human Services Department Faculty Adviser

Note: HUSR 300  is required in the Mental Health advisement track and should be taken early in the program.

Total (120 units)

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Degree Programs