Jul 13, 2024  
2016-2017 University Catalog 
2016-2017 University Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Teaching Credentials

Teaching Credential Information

Center for Careers in Teaching
Education Classroom Building 379

Admission to Teacher Education
College Park 520 (Educational Administration) 
College Park Suite 540 (Secondary and Special Education Programs) 
Edcuation Classroom 324 (Elementary Education Programs)


From its earliest days to the present, teacher preparation has been one of the chief missions of the University. Today, California State University, Fullerton offers a full range of nationally accredited and state-approved credential programs leading to careers in education. Students pursuing a teaching credential in California must navigate a number of specific requirements. Credential requirements are established by the Legislature and enforced by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CCTC). The Commission also reviews and approves all University credential preparation programs. An academic major in education is not permitted in California, thus students seeking teaching credentials must do so in conjunction with, or after the completion of, a baccalaureate degree program in an academic area outside of education.

CSUF offers programs leading to basic teaching credentials, specialist credentials and services credentials. The specialist and services credentials described briefly below, are more advanced programs designed to be taken in conjunction with graduate study.

In this section of the catalog, information is presented regarding:

  1. Center for Careers in Teaching
  2. Preliminary Credential Programs
  3. The Multiple Subject Credential
  4. The Single Subject Credential and Subject Matter Preparation Programs
  5. Education Specialist Credentials
  6. Administrative Services Credential Programs
  7. Clinical Rehabilitative Services

Center for Careers in Teaching

Education Classroom 379

The Center for Careers in Teaching provides comprehensive career and academic advising to students planning to become elementary, middle school, high school, special education teachers and/or work in higher education settings. Students are encouraged to go to the center for early academic advising to best prepare for credential and graduate programs at Cal State Fullerton. The Center for Careers in Teaching  provides walk-in and scheduled appointments throughout the year where students learn about the various education program requirements and how to efficiently blend requirements for General Education, a major and credential program prerequisites. These services provided by the center are geared toward the undergraduate who is planning to enter the teaching profession. Students who have already earned a bachelor’s degree should contact Admission to Teacher Education at 657-278-3352.

The Center for Careers in Teaching also works with local community colleges to facilitate the transition of transfer students who are planning to become teachers. Transfer students can meet with one of the center’s advisers at many of the local community colleges. Check the community college transfer center for schedules. Transfer students are also welcome to visit the center at the Cal State Fullerton campus even while attending the community college. See the Center for Careers in Teaching website at ed.fullerton.edu/cct for more information about careers in teaching, making an appointment, and much more.       

Preliminary Credential Programs

In California, there are three basic teaching credentials: the Multiple Subject Credential, Single Subject Credential and the Education Specialist Credential. The Multiple Subject Credential authorizes a person to teach in a kindergarten through eighth-grade classroom where multiple subjects are taught by a single individual. The Single Subject Credential authorizes a teacher to teach in a classroom where only one subject is taught, such as a classroom in departmentalized high schools and middle schools. The Education Specialist Credentials are designed for persons interested in working with children and adults with disabilities. Those who work with kindergarten through 12th-grade students should pursue the Mild/Moderate or the Moderate/ Severe Credential. Persons interested in working with infants, toddlers and preschoolers should pursue an Early Childhood Special Education/Specialist Credential.

In California, a prospective teacher first earns a preliminary credential and then completes a two-year induction program or a Clear Credential Program. The preliminary credential is the initial credential for the beginning teacher.

For minimum requirements for a Preliminary, Multiple Subject, Single Subject or Education Specialist Credential, please contact the Center for Careers in Teaching (657-278-7130 or ed.fullerton.edu/cct/) or attend an Overview Session offered by the College of Education. Schedules for these sessions are available on the hotline at 657-278-3412 or at ed.fullerton.edu/adtep/overviews.htm.

Internship Programs - All Credentials

CSUF offers internship programs in Elementary, Secondary and Special Education Credential Programs. Candidates must be enrolled in the credential program prior to seeking participation in an intern credential program.

Multiple Subject Credential

In California, the professional teacher preparation is after the completion of the bachelor’s degree; there is no major in education

The Center for Careers in Teaching, in conjunction with various departments, has developed sample academic plans that show students how to efficiently blend the requirements for graduation and admission to the credential program for a wide variety of majors. Students should make an appointment in the center to learn more about these academic plans. According to California law, any major (other than education) can be selected.

Single Subject Credential and Subject Matter Preparation

A Single Subject Credential authorizes the holder to teach a specified subject in kindergarten through 12th-grade classrooms in departmentalized settings. The Single Subject Credential program at CSUF offers programs in each of the following state-authorized subject fields.





Foundational Level Math (FLM)

Foundational Level General Science

Geosciences/Earth Science



Physical Education


Social Science (includes History)

World Languages (including English Language Development))

Admission to a subject-specific program requires demonstration of subject matter competence. Verification of subject matter competence may be satisfied by passage of the appropriate state-approved examination (CSET), or completion of a state-approved subject matter preparation program (SMPP). These subject matter preparation programs generally coincide sufficiently with the degree major to make it possible to complete major requirements and subject matter preparation requirements using many of the same courses. But degree programs and subject matter preparation programs serve different purposes; taking one is not a guarantee that you will have satisfied the requirements of the other. A degree in the subject is not a requirement of, nor satisfies the subject matter competency requirement. However, a degree closely related to the credential subject is highly desirable as it will help the applicant prepare for the CSET or will link with SMPP requirements.

For students seeking Single Subject Credentials, please discuss the option of the test or subject matter preparation program with the adviser for your academic major. CSUF offers subject matter preparation programs associated with many of the above credentials.

Good advising and careful planning are crucial. Transfer students seeking a CSUF subject matter preparation program should seek a transcript evaluation from the adviser in their academic major. Single subject matter preparation programs are required to be changed and re-approved periodically. See ed.fullerton.edu/cct/ for current information.

Education Specialist Credentials

CSUF offers several state-approved programs leading to specialized credentials. These specialist credentials are oriented toward post-baccalaureate coursework and coincide with master’s degree programs. The State is currently revising requirements for the Education Specialist Credentials. Please visit the Admission to Teacher Education website for current information.

CSUF offers the following Specialist Credential programs:

  1. Mild/Moderate Disabilities - to teach persons with mild/moderate disabilities. See Department of Special Education , College of Education .
  2. Moderate/Severe Disabilities - to teach persons with moderate/severe disabilities or who have multiple disabilities. See Department of Special Education , College of Education .
  3. Early Childhood Special Education - to teach infants, toddlers and preschoolers with or at risk for disabilities or developmental delays, ages birth through five years of age and their families. See Department of Special Education , College of Education .
  4. Resource Specialist (Certificate of Competency) - to serve as a resource specialist in programs serving special education students, their parents and their regular teachers. See Department of Special Education , College of Education .

Reading and Language Arts Specialist Credential

Reading and Language Arts Specialist - to teach reading to students of diversified grade and ability levels and to assist all teachers in being better reading teachers. See the Literacy and Literacy and Reading Department , College of Education .

Administrative Services Credentials

CSUF offers the following Administrative Services Credential programs:

  1. California Preliminary Administrative Services Credential (PASC) - the first step of the two-step administrative services credential structure, authorizing service as a school site administrator, principal or other administrative officer of a school district. See the Department of Educational LeadershipCollege of Education.
  2. Clear Administrative Services Credential (CASC) - the second step of the two-step administrative services credential structure. See the Department of Educational LeadershipCollege of Education.

Clinical Rehabilitative Services

  1. Clinical Rehabilitative Services Credential in Language, Speech and Hearing - provide services to students with disorders in language, speech and hearing. See Department of Human Communication Studies , College of Communications.
  2. Special Class Authorization - to become a classroom teacher to students with severe disorders of language. See Department of Human Communication StudiesCollege of Communications.   
  3. School Nurse Services Credential - to become a school nurse. See School of Nursing in the College of Health and Human Development.