Mar 21, 2023
Return to: Degree Programs
Master of Business Adminstration
The Mihaylo College of Business and Economics holds dual accreditation in Business Administration and Accounting from AACSB International, the premier accrediting body for university-level business programs in the world. We are the only university in Orange County, and one of five in California, to hold this prestigious level of dual accreditation. Our accreditation guarantees that students receive a high quality education, delivered by the most qualified faculty, all from a college that has met the highest standards in business education.
Depending on personal and professional commitments, students may earn their MBA on a full- or part-time basis. Classes are offered during the late afternoon and evenings, and students may complete the program at either the main campus in Fullerton or at the CSUF Irvine Campus.
Admission into the MBA program is competitive and decisions are based on the holistic assessment of each candidate’s academic and personal/professional background. Students must meet the CSU requirements for admission to a master’s degree program. Please consult the Graduate Admissions section in this catalog for complete information. In addition, applicants will be evaluated based on the following:
- a satisfactory score on the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT). Students should score in the top 50 percent on the verbal, quantitative and analytical writing areas. GRE/GMAT might be waived based on the waiver policy;
- a minimum TOEFL score of 570 on the paper exam, or 90 on the internet based (iBT) is required1; and
- a recommendation from the MBA Admissions Committee based upon a review of the above requirements, the student’s “Statement of Purpose” and prior work experience.
Additional coursework may be required of admitted students who holistically satisfy the criteria but are weak in one of the above areas.
GRE/GMAT Waiver Policy
For those with 7 or more years of professional full-time work experience:
- A GMAT or GRE score report is not required
- Applicants may opt to submit a current score as part of the application if they wish
- The Admissions Committee may request a score report as additional information to more thoroughly assess an applicant’s quantitative and analytical abilities.
For those with less than 7 years of professional full-time work experience:
- A GMAT/GRE exam is required
- A waiver may be considered for those applicants who can show through their academic and professional work experience a high level of quantitative and analytical skill and ability necessary for program success.
- Eligibility: Hold a quantitative-based master’s degrees or a terminal degree (MD, PhD, JD, DO) from an accredited school.
For FLEX MBA program:
The GRE/GMAT exam is required of all program applicants. However, a waiver may be considered for those applicants who can show through their academic and professional work experience a high level of quantitative and analytical skill and ability necessary for program success. GMAT Waiver Eligibility:
- Option 1: Hold a quantitative-based master’s degrees or a terminal degree (MD, PhD, JD, DO) from an accredited school.
- Option 2: At least 7 years of professional work experience AND an undergraduate degree that includes extensive quantitative coursework with at least a B average.
- Option 3: Official documentation of expired GMAT or GRE scores that meet/exceed the program target.
- GMAT: At least 35th percentile on the Quantitative portion and a total score of at least 550.
- GRE: At least 35th percentile on the quantitative section and total score of 300.
1 For international students
All newly admitted students must demonstrate proficiency in calculus, software applications and statistics, either at the time of admission or within their first year of study. The three technical courses listed below, or equivalent coursework, must be completed with a “C” (2.0) or better:
Students with a bachelor’s degree in Business Administration may be able to complete the program with a minimum of 33 units of adviser-approved coursework. However, those students with little or no recent coursework in Business Administration may require up to 45 total units of advisor-approved coursework. Students selecting the International Business concentration must complete a minimum of 36 units, up to 48 units of adviser-approved coursework. A minimum 3.0 GPA (“B”) is required in study plan courses and overall applicable coursework. Any study plan course with a grade lower than “C” (2.0) must be repeated and passed with a “C” (2.0) or better.
Business Core (18-30 units)
The MBA program at CSUF presumes that all students demonstrate proficiency in the topics covered by the following business core, which consist of a minimum of 18 units, up to 30 units of coursework. These courses must be at the 500 level. All specific required courses are determined by college advisers and/or department chairs within the Mihaylo College of Business and Economics. Each student in the MBA program must complete an advisor-approved study plan. The Business Core courses are:
Decisions about core coursework equivalency are made by college advisers and department chairs within the Mihaylo College of Business and Economics. Consideration for equivalency may only be provided if the proposed equivalent courses are no more than seven years old and the student has achieved a “C” (2.0) or better with an overall GPA of 3.0 (“B”).
Accounting Concentration Electives (12 units)
The Accounting concentration must cover the following areas: financial accounting and theory, accounting information systems, auditing and taxation. A minimum of three of the four courses must be at the 500 level. All courses must be approved by the department chair or their designee.
Capstone Experience (3 units)
- BUAD 591 - Business Strategy Capstone (3)
Students must pass the individual project in BUAD 591 and complete the course with a “B” (3.0) or better. In exceptional cases, a thesis (BUAD 598 ) may serve as an option. See the graduate adviser for details.
Return to: Degree Programs