Nov 28, 2022  
2013-2015 University Catalog 
2013-2015 University Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Human Services, B.S.

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Degree Programs

(120 UNITS)

The Bachelor of Science in Human Services requires 54 units in the major, including 36 units of required core courses, plus 18 units of adviser-approved courses related to one’s anticipated professional specialization.

Majors must achieve a “C” (2.0) or better in all courses included in the core curriculum and in the advisement track. It is the student’s responsibility to consult the department academic adviser at least once during each of her/his first two semesters on campus to develop a study plan identifying courses for the advisement track.

Community College Transfer Students

Community college transfer students may apply a maximum of 12 units of coursework in human services and related fields towards the total of 54 units. Transfer of any units must be approved by the department adviser. For transfer students with a certificate in Substance Abuse, Domestic Violence or Gerontology, up to 18 units of coursework in human services may be applied to the total of 54 units.

Required Core Curriculum (36 Units)

Required Advisement Track (18 units)

In addition to the core, the human services degree program requires each student to select, in consultation with an adviser, an 18-unit advisement track in the area of her/his anticipated professional specialization. Advisement tracks include:

Mental Health Track (Emphasis in counseling and social work)

Prepares students for entry-level career options such as adoption counselor, client advocate, social service employee, youth counselor and parent educator, and for graduate work in counseling, social work, clinical psychology or marriage and family therapy.

Administration and Community Practice Track

Designed for students wishing to pursue careers and/or graduate study in human services agency administration, community organization, social policy and planning; prepares students for entry level career options such as outreach worker, fundraiser, grant writer and data manager.

Gerontology Track

Developed for students interested in working with the elderly population as a geriatric caseworker or client advocate and graduate work in gerontology.

Substance Abuse Treatment and Prevention Track

Designed for students who are interested in careers such as drug and alcohol counselor and rehabilitation case manager. Once students complete a Bachelor’s Degree in Human Services with this track, they are eligible to take the California Association for Alcohol/Drug Educators Certification Exam.

Elementary Education Track

Designed for students who are interested in pursuing an elementary teaching career.

Persons with Disabilities Track

Developed for students interested in working with physically and/or developmentally disabled population in human services or educational settings.

Individualized Advisement Track

Students may develop their own track in consultation with the Human Services Department Faculty Adviser

Note: HUSR 300  is required in the Mental Health advisement track and should be taken early in the program.

Total (120 units)

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Degree Programs