Jun 13, 2024  
2013-2015 University Catalog 
2013-2015 University Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Speech-Language Pathology Services Credential in Language, Speech and Hearing

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Academic Departments and Programs

Speech pathologists who wish to practice in the public school setting are required to obtain an M.A. degree in Communicative Disorders and the Speech-Language Pathology Services Credential in Language, Speech and Hearing (SLPSC), which they may declare as an objective when they apply for admission to the graduate program. The credential may also be declared as an objective at a later time as long as the student has maintained continuous enrollment in the graduate program. After the student leaves the graduate program, readmission is required in order to fulfill requirements for the credential. It is, therefore, strongly recommended that students complete the credential while working on the M.A. Degree unless they are absolutely certain that they will not later wish to work in the public schools.

To obtain the SLPSC, students must earn the M.A. degree in Communicative Disorders. In addition, they must meet requirements that are somewhat more specific than those for the M.A. degree alone. These requirements are listed below. The required courses and clinical practice for the SLPSC must be completed with a grade-point average of 2.5 and at least a “C” (2.0) must be earned for each course and practicum. In the case of credit/no credit grades for certain clinical practicum courses, the student must earn a credit. Students are required to complete clinical clock hours according to the requirements of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association. Some of the clinical clock hours must be in audiology and aural rehabilitation. In addition, 100 of the 350 supervised clock hours must be completed at a school site or its equivalent. The hours must be supervised in all cases by persons holding the ASHA Certificate of Clinical Competence in Speech-Language Pathology and the appropriate state license. The supervisor of the public school practicum must also hold the Clinical Rehabilitative Services Credential on the SLPSC. If equivalences have been granted for a clinical practicum that was completed at another university, appropriate documentation of clinical clock hours completed at the other institution must be provided to the Communicative Disorders Program so that it can be placed in the student’s clinical practicum file.

Finally, the student must demonstrate proficiency in reading and writing through passing the University Examination in Writing Proficiency (EWP) and through obtaining a “C” (2.0) or better in HCOM 300 .

Alternatively, the student may demonstrate reading and writing proficiency by obtaining a “C” (2.0) or better in HCOM 500 . Students must also pass the CBEST Exam prior to entering the credential program. The Credential Coordinator should be contacted by the students early in their program to review requirements and give further information on the requirements for the credential.

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Academic Departments and Programs