College Park 650-7
Robert Davis, Riccardo de los Rios, Bob Engels, Edward Fink, Jacqueline Frost, Shelley Jenkins, Tim Maloney, Gloria Monti, Heather Osborne-Thompson, Philippe Perebinossoff, Ari Posner, Jule Selbo, Rebecca Sheehan, Larry Ward
Mission - The Department of Radio-TV-Film at California State University, Fullerton (CSUF), offers a comprehensive curriculum and active learning environment to prepare students for meaningful careers in film and telecommunication - broadcast, cable, satellite, wireless, digital and interactive media.
Curriculum - The Bachelor of Arts degree includes a variety of courses in critical studies, industry studies, production and writing that examine many aspects of the electronic media and cinema.
The Master of Fine Arts degree is an intensive, two-year program focusing on writing for film, television and other narrative media, and includes courses to prepare students to enter the professional film and television community.
People - Professionally engaged faculty and staff challenge students to expand their knowledge and skills through intellectual inquiry and creative projects, encouraging them to become critical lifelong learners and ethical media content creators and consumers.
Radio-TV-Film is one of three departments in the College of Communications providing access to the vibrant and media-rich Orange County and Los Angeles Basin.
Learning Goals and Student Learning Outcomes
Bachelor of Arts in Radio-TV-Film
The following goals and learning outcomes have been established for students pursuing a bachelor of arts degree in Radio-TV-Film:
Critical thinking, research, and analysis
- Apply critical thinking, research, and analysis to accomplish professional and personal goals
- Demonstrate skills and knowledge for entry into professional practice
- Demonstrate writing proficiency appropriate to the entry level of professional practice
Equipment and technologies
- Demonstrate effective use of equipment and technologies appropriate to the entry level of professional practice
- Apply effectively appropriate concepts and theories of film and/or the electronic media
- Demonstrate sensitivity to diversity in all areas of the film and electronic media
Historical, legal and ethical issues
- Demonstrate a basic knowledge of historical, legal, and ethical issues
Master of Fine Arts in Radio-TV-Film
The following goals and learning outcomes have been established for students pursuing a master of fine arts degree in Radio-TV-Film:
- Strengthen and apply advanced writing skills in both craft and creativity
- Demonstrate a mastery of story concepts and writing proficiency across a portfolio of different screenplays, including feature films, teleplays, and the like
Film history, theory and criticism
- Know film and television history, theory, and criticism and how these shape the industry
- Comprehend the professional life of a screenwriter and its demands and opportunities
Ethical decisions and diversity
- Analyze and evaluate issues to make ethical decisions in this competitive field, including sensitivity to diversity and globalization.
CSUF profile and networking
- Formulate contacts in the professional community to establish an ongoing network
Programs and Courses Offered
ProgramsBachelor of ArtsMaster of Fine ArtsNon-Degree
Courses are designated as RTVF in the class schedule.