Jun 12, 2024  
2018-2019 Faculty Handbook 
2018-2019 Faculty Handbook [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

III. Employment as a Member of the Faculty

Appointment to the Faculty

All faculty appointments are made by the president or his designee, following the procedures established by the campus and the Unit 3 Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA).

At the time of appointment, faculty members receive a letter of appointment that includes the beginning and, for temporary faculty members, ending dates of the initial appointment, classification, employment status, timebase, rank, salary, assigned department, and any other special conditions of appointment, such as prior service credit, if any. This letter should be read carefully, and any questions should be directed to the college dean.

Appointments may be probationary (tenure-track) or temporary (lecturer). The appointment letter will include the new faculty employee’s typical teaching assignment. Faculty members are assigned the required duties of their classification and position. Historically, the full-time assignment for faculty members is 15 weighted teaching units. Direct instruction varies depending on the work assignment. Part-time faculty members work a proportionate amount of time in keeping with their assignments.

Probationary Appointments

Generally, probationary faculty appointments initially are for periods of two years and are accompanied by additional conditions of employment specified by the college dean.

Temporary Appointments - General Information

Temporary faculty members, regardless of timebase (15 weighted teaching units or less), may be appointed for periods of a semester, parts of a year, or one or more years. The temporary appointment automatically expires at the end of the stated period and does not establish consideration for subsequent appointments or any further appointment rights. No other notice shall be provided.

Conditional Appointments

Following two semesters of consecutive employment within an academic year, a part-time temporary employee offered appointment to a similar assignment in the same department or equivalent unit shall receive a one-year appointment with a timebase equal to or greater than the timebase in the prior academic year. Part-time temporary faculty appointments are conditional, based on enrollment, budget and other considerations.

Unconditional Appointments

Full-time temporary faculty appointments are not conditional, with the exception of coaches. Coaches may be appointed on a conditional basis, which may include adherence to NCAA bylaws and other NCAA regulations.

Three-Year Appointments

Appointment of at least one semester in a given academic year counts as one year of service. After serving six consecutive years and following satisfactory evaluation; and absent documented serious conduct problems, temporary faculty employees, regardless of timebase, shall be offered a three-year temporary appointment in each department for which the above criteria is met. (See Article 12.12 of the CBA).

Campus Sign-In

All new faculty members must sign in at Payroll, Benefits and Retirement Services (PBR) in CP-770 on or before their appointment effective date. State law requires U.S. citizens to sign a Loyalty Oath at the start of their State employment. Also, all employees must verify they are legally able to work in the United States. It is the responsibility of individuals to keep their immigration status current and to provide proof of their employment eligibility at the time they sign in. All faculty members must also complete payroll forms within three business days of their appointment effective date to comply with the law and to assure the first pay warrant will not be delayed. All new employees must present original documents for employment eligibility purposes, no copies or duplicates will be accepted. All faculty members are paid once a month at the end of each pay period. Pay warrants are distributed to campus offices unless an employee arranges through PBR for automatic deposit. The Cal State University (CSU) and California Faculty Association (CFA) have defined and agreed to the limits of time faculty members may also be engaged in outside and additional work for pay. Refer to the Faculty Additional Pay website for definitions and guidelines. Any questions pertaining to sign-in should be addressed to PBR in CP-770 or at ext. 2521. Questions pertaining to visa requirements should be addressed to Human Resources, Diversity and Inclusion (HRDI) in CP-700 or at ext. 2425.

Faculty members who are eligible for benefits and have completed the sign-in process will be able to enroll for benefits using Employee Self Service in “My Benefits Information” on Titan Online or by completing enrollment forms as early as possible but no later than 60 calendar days following the date of appointment. Employee Benefit Orientations are held at the beginning of the semester to explain the various benefits. New employees are encouraged to contact HRDI directly as soon as they arrive on campus to obtain a benefit packet. In addition to health and dental coverage, the CSU automatically provides eligible employees who have signed in with Vision and Life and Accidental Death Insurance. Contributing into Retirement is not optional; employees will either be eligible for California Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS) or Part-Time Seasonal and Temporary Employees Retirement. Those faculty members eligible for CalPERS will also contribute into Social Security. In addition, several other optional benefits may be of interest. These include FlexCash, Long-Term Care Insurance, tax-sheltered annuities and deferred compensation packages, dependent care or health care reimbursement accounts, Life Insurance, Long-Term Disability, and other voluntary insurance programs. For more information on any of these programs, contact PBR at CP-770 or ext. 2521 or access the HRDI website to take an online Benefits Orientation.

Retention, Tenure and Promotion (RTP)

The normal probationary period shall be a total of six (6) years of full-time probationary service and credited service, if any (Unit 3 CBA, Article 13). Probationary appointments may be for a period of one or more years. Probationary faculty members normally receive performance evaluations in their second, fourth, and sixth years by peer review committees and administrators at department and college levels, and, as prescribed in the Faculty Personnel Policy and Procedures, UPS 210.000, at the University level. Normally, faculty members are considered for promotion in their sixth year when they are evaluated for tenure. UPS 210.000 and department standards, when available, state the criteria and process for reappointment, tenure, and promotion. Faculty members are strongly encouraged to read these documents and to ask questions of their Department Chair concerning the expectations for retention, tenure and promotion (RTP). In addition, the Faculty Development Center offers assistance to probationary faculty. Faculty members are required to know the expectations of their departments and to work steadily throughout their probationary period to establish a record that meets or exceeds those expectations.

Copies of UPS 210.00 are available on the Academic Senate website.

For questions, contact your Department Chair, the FAR office at ext. 2125, or visit the FAR website.

Periodic Evaluation

Periodic evaluations are conducted for all faculty members, dependent upon their classification. Probationary or “tenure-track” faculty members normally undergo periodic evaluation in their third and fifth years per UPS 210.000 and the Unit 3 CBA.

Most full-time and part-time lecturers, are evaluated annually based on departmental policy, UPS 210.070 and the Unit 3 CBA. Those lecturers who are in three-year appointments are normally evaluated in the third year of the appointment.

Tenured faculty members are evaluated at least once every five years in accordance with the Unit 3 CBA, UPS 210.020, and department policy, if any.

In all cases, evaluation is more than a requirement. It should be considered an important opportunity for professional growth for all faculty members.

Personnel Action File

The official Personnel Action File (PAF) contains documentation pertaining to employment, reappointment, tenure, promotion, and the evaluation of faculty performance in accordance with the Unit 3 CBA. Files for full-time faculty members including lecturers, probationary, and tenured faculty are located in Faculty Affairs and Records (FAR) in PLS-290. The Associate Vice President for Academic Operations is the custodian of these files. Files for part-time faculty members are located in their college.

Working Personnel Action File, Portfolio, and Review File

The Working Personnel Action File (WPAF) is the file that is specifically generated for use in a given evaluation cycle. The WPAF shall include all required forms and documents, all information specifically provided by the employee being evaluated, and information provided by faculty unit employees, students, and academic administrators. It shall also include all faculty and administrative level evaluation recommendations from the current cycle, and all rebuttal statements and responses submitted. During the period of evaluation, the WPAF shall be incorporated by reference into the PAF.

At Cal State Fullerton, the WPAF for probationary and tenured faculty is also referred to as the Portfolio (in performance evaluations) or the Review File (in periodic evaluations). It serves as the basis for Retention, Tenure and Promotion (RTP) decisions for tenure-track faculty.

In performance evaluations, faculty members prepare a Portfolio and Appendices to summarize and document the evidence for RTP decisions in the three areas of evaluation: Teaching, Scholarly and Creative Accomplishments, and Service (see UPS 210.000).

For temporary faculty (lecturers), the WPAF is commonly referred to as the Lecturer Review File. It serves as the basis for periodic evaluation, comprehensive (six year) evaluation, and range elevation evaluation (see UPS 210.070).



Faculty members are compensated based on their current academic rank and in accordance with the Cal State University (CSU) Salary Schedule. Faculty salaries are established via collective bargaining between the bargaining agent (CFA) and the Trustees of the CSU. Instructional Faculty ranks include: Assistant, Instructor, Lecturer, Assistant Professor, Associate Professor and Professor. For tenured and probationary faculty members, a promotion is required to move from one rank to the next higher rank.

Salary Schedule

The CSU Salary Schedule lists minimum and maximum monthly and annual salary for each rank. A copy of the salary schedule is available for reference on the Human Resources, Diversity and Inclusion website.

Salary Adjustments

The following salary adjustments may apply (please see Article 31 of the CBA):

A General Salary Increase (GSI) is an increase to base salary that applies to all employees within the faculty bargaining unit.

A Service Salary Increase (SSI) is upward movement on the salary schedule, awarded to faculty members who have been determined to be eligible based on qualifying service, satisfactory performance and additional criteria described in the CBA.

The President may grant a salary increase to a probationary or tenured faculty unit employee to address market considerations.

Payroll Procedures

Pay Periods

Pay warrants are issued once a month on state pay days as noted on the current year’s Academic Pay Calendar. This calendar specifies the beginning and ending dates for each semester and the academic year as well as academic holidays, academic pay periods, and other key dates for significant academic activities. It is published online and in the University catalog.

Academic-Year Faculty Positions

An academic-year faculty member who completes all service required for the year is paid in 12 equal installments on state pay days covering the period of one year. Please note that a change in timebase, such as a full or partial leave without pay or a 12-month position that occurs during the fall semester, will impact the following August pay period check and benefits for the following September. Staff in HRDI Employment or Payroll, Benefits and Retirement Services can explain in detail the effect of these changes.

Ten-Month Faculty Positions

Individuals in this classification who complete all service required for the year are paid in 12 equal installments on state pay days. The appropriate administrator determines the specific ten months of an employee’s work schedule.

Twelve-Month Faculty Positions

Faculty members who are paid from either a portion or all of a 12-month position (in contrast to academic-year faculty positions) do not necessarily receive salary in equal installments. Twelve-month (12) positions are paid on the basis of 12 pay periods of 21-22 work days each. The amount earned in any one of those pay periods depends on the number of work days the individual was on duty and will be reduced if only a portion of the month is actually worked. Thus, when an individual moves into this type of position and later moves out of it, the corresponding pay warrant will reflect some portion of the regular amount. Moving from a 12-month position to an academic-year position at a time other than the beginning of the academic year may have implications for August pay and September benefits. Staff in HRDI Employment or Payroll, Benefits and Retirement Services can explain in detail the effect of this type of transition.

Automatic Payroll Deductions

The following will in almost every instance be deducted from the pay warrants of qualifying employees: Federal Income Tax, State Income Tax, California Public Employees’ Retirement System (CalPERS) employee retirement contributions, Social Security, Medicare, and California Faculty Association (CFA) Dues or Agency Fee.

Optional Payroll Deductions

When an individual is eligible for other Cal State Fullerton programs and files the appropriate request, additional withholding may occur for one or more of the following: insurance premiums, credit union, membership dues in employee organizations, charitable contributions, tax deferred account contributions, and parking permit.

Employee Changes

Employees can use “employee self-service” via the Portal to change their address and/or update their telephone number. For more information on withholding changes, please visit the HRDI website.

Leaves of Absence with Pay

The Cal State University (CSU) provides eligible faculty members with the following types of paid leaves: sabbatical leave, difference-in-pay leave, bereavement leave, parental leave, jury duty leave, leave to vote, absence as a witness, and military leave. Direct any questions regarding these leaves to HRDI (ext. 2425, CP-700).

Sick Leave

Sick leave is accrued at the rate of eight hours per qualifying pay period for full-time faculty members. Part-time faculty members accrue sick leave on a pro-rata basis. Sick leave may be accumulated without limit. Refer to the California Faculty Association (CFA) collective bargaining agreement for appropriate uses of sick leave. Absences due to a faculty member’s own or an immediate family member’s illness or injury must be reported to the Department Chair immediately and in advance of the class period, if at all possible. The department attendance clerk assists with the appropriate process for reporting the use of sick leave to Payroll. If a faculty member does not have sufficient sick leave accrued to cover the entire period of absence, he/she may be placed on unpaid leave.

Faculty members requiring an extended leave of absence for medical reasons must discuss the matter with the Department Chair, contact Human Resources, Diversity and Inclusion (HRDI), and provide a medical certification indicating the inability to work and the length of time of the incapacity. A faculty member may be required to see a doctor of the University’s choice for a second opinion. A medical release must be provided to HRDI before the faculty member may return to work. The Department Chair, Dean, and HRDI must all be notified of any requests for extended medical leaves of absence via the Formal Leave of Absence form. Remember that a leave without pay during the fall semester affects pay for the following August and benefits for the following September. Contact HRDI (ext. 2425, CP-700) for more information.

Family and Medical Leave

The CSU Family Medical Leave (FML) provides employees with leave time for up to 12 weeks to care for self or eligible family members. Also, there are various military-related FML leaves (refer to HR 2010-03) that range from time needed to attend a one-time event up to 26 work weeks (restricted to Service Member Care Leave). The CSU FML incorporates both the Federal Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) and the California Family Rights Act (CFRA) leave entitlements and run concurrently.

Employees who request CSU FML leave for self are required to exhaust existing sick and vacation leave credits and personal holiday prior to being placed on an unpaid FML leave.

While on paid CSU FML, benefit premiums-including health, dental, vision, group life, and long-term disability-continue to be paid by the CSU without a lapse in coverage. During periods of unpaid CSU FML, only health, dental, and vision premiums will continue to be paid by the CSU.

The following legislation is incorporated into the CSU FML leave:

  • Family Medical Leave Act - 29 United States Code, Sections 2601 et seq;
  • California Family Rights Act - California Government Code §§12945.1,.2 and 19702.3; and
  • California Code of Regulations, Title 2, Division 4, §§7297 et seq

Parental Leave

Faculty members are eligible for paid and unpaid parental leave for the reason of birth of a child of the employee or placement of a child with the employee via adoption or foster care. Faculty members are entitled to 30 paid work days of parental leave or upon approval may take a paid 40 percent reduction in workload for one semester in lieu of the 30 paid days of parental leave. Depending upon the circumstances, additional paid leave can include the use of sick leave and/or Non-Industrial Disability leave. For additional information regarding parental leave, refer to Family and Medical Leave Policy above and the Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA). Contact HRDI (ext. 2425, CP-700) for more information on parental leaves. Contact Total Wellness (ext. 2521, CP-770) for information on the continuation of benefits during this type of leave.

Catastrophic Leave and Donation Program

Under current agreements, it is possible for employees who accrue vacation and/or sick leave credits to donate a maximum of 40 hours of either of those credits per fiscal year to any other CSU employee on the same campus if the recipient employee has exhausted all accrued leave credits due to a catastrophic illness or injury which has totally incapacitated the employee from work. Donated leave credits may be used to supplement Industrial Disability Leave, Non-Industrial Disability Leave or Temporary Disability payments from the State Compensation Insurance Fund for three calendar months. An additional three-month period may be approved in exceptional cases. A benefits officer will determine eligibility. Consult with the Total Wellness ext. 2521 for more information.

Bereavement Leave

Five (5) days of paid bereavement leave are granted for the death of “immediate family” as defined by the CBA. Consult the CBA Article 23 for the provisions for the use of bereavement leave.

Leave for Jury Duty

Jury duty is a civic responsibility which the University supports. Faculty unit employees who serve on jury duty shall receive regular salary while absent to perform jury duty if they reimburse the CSU the amount of pay received for such duty, exclusive of mileage reimbursement. Upon receipt of initial notification for jury duty, faculty members are required to promptly notify their chair or dean. At the conclusion of jury duty service, faculty members must provide official proof of service to the department’s attendance clerk for absence reporting purposes.

Sabbatical Leave

A sabbatical leave is a paid leave that provides a benefit to the CSU, such as research, scholarly and creative activity, instructional improvement, or faculty retraining. Sabbatical leaves may be for one semester at full pay or two semesters at one-half pay. Consult the UPS 260.102 as well as Article 27 of the CBA regarding policies and procedures, eligibility, and evaluative considerations. Contact the Office of Faculty Affairs and Records (ext. 2125, PLS-290) for additional information.

Difference-in-Pay Leave

A difference-in-pay leave is a paid leave for one or more semesters. The salary for this type of leave is the difference between the employee’s salary and the minimum salary of the instructor rank. Information regarding policies and procedures, eligibility, and evaluative considerations for the difference in pay leave can be found in Article 28 of the CBA and UPS 260.104. You may also wish to contact FAR (ext. 2125, PLS-290) for additional information on this program.

Leaves of Absence without Pay

Faculty members are eligible to request an unpaid leave of absence for personal or professional reasons. Faculty members considering an unpaid leave must also consider the effect of such a leave on their benefits. Contact Human Resources, Diversity and Inclusion (HRDI) (ext. 2425, CP-700) for more information about unpaid leaves of absence.

Not all leaves of absence will affect benefits. For example, a partial leave during which the employee continues to work half-time or more will not affect benefits except for a proportionate reduction in sick leave accrual, vacation accrual if applicable, and service credit with the Public Employees’ Retirement System. If, for one or more full pay periods, a faculty member takes a full or partial leave of absence without pay which results in working less than half-time, he/she must take action to continue health insurance coverage during the leave period.

Contact Total Wellness (ext. 2521, CP-700) concerning the effect a full or partial unpaid leave will have on benefits and for information and appropriate forms to continue coverage during an unpaid leave of absence.

Academic-year faculty members who take an unpaid leave in the fall semester and return to work in the spring semester need to be aware that their pay for the following August and benefits for the following September will be effected. This is because academic-year employees who work for a full academic year are paid 12 monthly paychecks in an unusual pattern: the first five checks for the fall semester are paid consecutively (September through February), the six pay checks for the spring semester are paid consecutively (March through July), and the sixth pay check for the fall semester is paid last (August). Health insurance premiums are paid in advance; that is, deductions are withheld from a pay check for the following month’s benefits coverage. If there is no pay check in August, then there is no benefits coverage in September.

A full or partial leave of absence without pay may affect other voluntary deductions as well. For any questions, please contact Payroll Services.

Professional Leave of Absence

A professional leave of absence without pay may be for purposes of research, advanced study, professional development or other purposes of benefit to the campus. Requests for a professional leave of absence without pay must be submitted in writing to the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs but routed via the Department Chair and College Dean who will each make a recommendation concerning whether the leave should be granted. Requests must indicate the type of leave requested and the period of the leave. The faculty member will receive a written response from the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs indicating whether the leave has been approved. Refer to the Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) concerning the effect a leave of absence without pay will have on probationary service, sabbatical and difference-in-pay eligibility, service salary increase eligibility, and seniority points. Contact FAR (ext. 2125, PLS-290) for additional information.

Personal Leave of Absence

A personal leave of absence without pay may be for purposes of unpaid sick leave, family medical care, outside employment, parental leave or other purposes of a personal nature. Application for a personal leave of absence must be made on the prescribed form made available by HRDI and submitted to the Department Chair, who will forward the application to the College Dean. The Department Chair and the College Dean each make a recommendation to the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs concerning whether the leave should be granted. Applications must indicate the type and period of the leave. The faculty member will receive a written response indicating whether the leave has been approved. Refer to the CBA concerning the effect a leave of absence without pay will have on probationary service, sabbatical and difference-in-pay eligibility, service salary increase eligibility, and seniority points.

In all cases, faculty members who anticipate the need for a leave of absence shall submit the request as soon as possible to allow the Department Chair to make adequate plans to cover that person’s work assignments. Contact Human Resources, Diversity and Inclusion (HRDI) (ext. 2425, CP-700) for more information.


Cal State Fullerton offers an outstanding, comprehensive benefits program. Cal State University (CSU) benefits for faculty members are determined by the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA). Benefits eligibility for faculty members is dependent on the type, length, and timebase of their appointments. Additional information about the benefits set forth below is available in the office of Payroll, Benefits and Retirement Services, which is located on the 7th floor in the College Park building. Review the Unit 3 CBA for additional information concerning eligibility for these benefits.

Health and Dental Plans

Eligible employees have 60 calendar days following the date of appointment to enroll in health and dental benefit plans. The earliest eligibility for the fall semester is October 1st; the earliest eligibility for the spring semester is March 1st. However, for enrollment after those respective dates, the effective dates are the first of the month following the date of enrollment. Faculty members who do not enroll within the 60 day enrollment period may enroll as a Late Enrollment and serve a 90-day waiting period; the 90-day waiting period is calculated from the date the enrollment is received.

There are two general types of health plans: Health Maintenance Organization (HMO) and Preferred Provider Organizations (PPO). Enrollment in the health plan may procure a monthly payroll deduction, depending on the plan and the number of dependents enrolled.

There are two dental plans offered through Delta Dental: Delta Dental Premier (PPO) and Delta Care USA (HMO). CSUF pays the full monthly dental premium for employees and their eligible dependents.

Employees can either complete their benefits enrollment using the Benefits Enrollment worksheet or through their CSUF Portal - eBenefits Self-Service. e-Benefit self-service tutorial information can be accessed here.

All active employees enrolled in a health plan are eligible to participate in the Tax Advantage Premium Plan (TAPP). This allows employees to pay for their health premiums from their paycheck on a pre-tax basis. Employees are automatically enrolled in TAPP unless non-participation is specifically designated.

Group Vision, Life, and Long-Term Disability (LTD) Plans

The University pays the monthly premiums for Vision, Life, and Long-Term Disability (LTD) plans.

Vision coverage is provided by VSP. Employees and their eligible dependents will automatically be enrolled in this Vision plan.

Life and LTD coverage is provided by The Standard. Employees are also automatically enrolled in these plans. The CSU provides coverage of $50,000 of basic term life insurance and $50,000 of basic accidental death and dismemberment (AD&D) insurance. LTD is designed to supplement other sources of disability benefits, including Industrial Disability Leave (IDL), Social Security, California Public Employees’ Retirement System (CalPERS) or any other group disability plan.


FlexCash is an optional benefit plan that allows eligible employees to waive CSU medical and/or dental insurance plan(s) in exchange for cash if they have other non-CSU employer group coverage. If employees waive medical and/or dental insurance coverage, they will receive additional cash in their paycheck each month. Payment is treated as taxable income and will be subject to the same payroll taxes as regular salary.

Health and Dependent Care Reimbursement Programs (HCRA and DCRA)

Employees may enroll in the Health Care Reimbursement Program (HCRA) or the Dependent Care Reimbursement Program (DCRA) within 60 days of hire. Coverage will become effective on the first of the second month following enrollment. Annual enrollment is required to participate.

HCRA allows eligible employees to pay for health care expenses that are not covered or partially covered by medical, dental, and vision insurance plans with pre-tax dollars for themselves and their eligible dependents.

DCRA provides reimbursement for eligible dependent care expenses from pre-tax income.

California Public Employees’ Retirement System (CalPERS)

California Public Employees’ Retirement System (CalPERS) is a defined benefits plan. Retirement benefits are based on age at retirement, years of service, and compensation. Employees are automatically enrolled if appointed as full-time for an academic year or as half-time with 7.5 or more units for three consecutive semesters. Employee contribution amounts and eligibility age for retirement differ based on date of hire.

As a CalPERS member, faculty members are eligible for various pre-retirement death benefits depending on their membership category, retirement eligibility status and other factors. The benefits range from a simple return of contributions plus interest (if applicable) to a monthly allowance equal to what would have been received at retirement paid to the faculty member’s spouse or domestic partner. Each member’s death benefits can vary significantly depending on circumstances and data.

Part-time, Seasonal, and Temporary Employees Retirement Program (PST)

Employees hired on a part-time, seasonal, or temporary time basis who do not qualify for membership in CalPERS are required to participate in PST. Saving Plus administers PST, an eligible 457 Plan under the Internal Revenue Code. PST participation is mandatory.

If employment status (length of employment or time base) changes and employee becomes eligible for CalPERS membership, the 7.5% PST deduction from the paycheck will stop and the CalPERS retirement deduction will start. For additional information, please contact Human Resources, Total Wellness ext. 2425, CP-700

Tax Sheltered Annuities (TSA) and Deferred Compensation Plans

Employees have three voluntary retirement saving plans available to allow investment of pre-tax dollars: CSU 403B Tax Sheltered Annuity, Savings Plus 401K Thrift, and Savings Plus 457 Deferred Compensation. These plans are voluntary and are 100 percent employee contribution.

Social Security

Employees contribute 6.2 percent up to the maximum annual earnings to Social Security, and the University matches this contribution. Non-CalPERS members will not have Social Security deductions.

Voluntary Insurance Programs

CSUF provides eligible employees with the opportunity to apply for voluntary employee-paid plans for themselves and their families at competitive group rates. These include MetLaw (personal legal services), AFLAC (group critical illnesses), California Casualty (automobile and homeowner’s insurance) and The Standard (voluntary life, AD&D and LTD coverage.)

Non-Industrial Disability Insurance (NDI)

Non-Industrial Disability Insurance (NDI) is an employer-paid, short-term disability plan designed to pay a salary continuation to eligible employees disabled from work due to a non-work related illness or injury. Employees must be a CalPERS member and have exhausted all accrued sick leave.

Vacations and Holidays

Academic-year employees do not earn vacation. Faculty in full-time 10-month or 12-month positions accrue vacation. Refer to the CBA for accrual rates and the use of vacation credits. Part-time employees accrue vacation on a pro rata basis.

Academic-year employees are entitled to all days designated as academic holidays on the campus academic calendar. 10-month or 12-month employees are eligible for 14 paid holidays each year including a Personal Holiday. If the faculty member fails to take the Personal Holiday before the end of the calendar year, the holiday shall be forfeited.

Sick Leave

Full-time faculty earn eight hours of sick leave per month with unlimited accumulation. Part-time faculty earn sick leave on a pro-rata basis. Refer to the CBA for terms and conditions regarding the use of sick leave.

Fee Waiver Program

Tenured and probationary faculty unit employees and temporary faculty unit employees with at least six years of full-time equivalent service in a department may be granted a waiver of fees (excluding a $3.00 payment) for up to two courses or six units of academic work in state-funded programs in the CSU system. Faculty members eligible for participation in the Fee Waiver Program may transfer their existing fee waiver benefit for certain fees to a spouse or dependent child provided the courses are taken by a spouse or child who is matriculated toward a degree, and the courses are for credit toward the degree’s requirement; the fee waiver is applicable to in-state tuition only. It also requires that there is class enrollment availability and the student has met the class prerequisites. The Fee Waiver Program does not apply to courses offered through extension and, intersession. A limited number of courses offered through Extended Education during the summer session may qualify under the fee waiver program. Refer to the current CBA for information on this benefit. For additional information, please contact Human Resources, Total Wellness ext. 2425, CP-700.

Commuter Choice Program

The Cal State Fullerton Commuter Choice Program is dedicated to mitigating parking demand on campus and providing commute options and benefits to faculty and staff.

Walk or Bike

Earn Commuter Rewards for walking or cycling to CSUF. Participants who walk or ride their bicycles to campus can earn up to $44 per month. Participants who do not own a parking permit can earn $2 per day. Participants who choose to keep their parking permit can earn 50¢ per day.


Commuter Rewards and all day parking in 3-HR F/S parking spaces are available for employees who carpool. Carpooling can save thousands of dollars a year on gas, car maintenance, and wear and tear. Carpooling also helps to ease traffic, reduce smog and cut fuel-use. Participants who carpool to campus (two or more faculty or staff) can apply to receive a supplemental Carpool Parking Permit that gives access to park all day in 3-HR F/S spaces in Faculty/Staff lots. There is no charge for a Carpool Permit; however, one participant in the carpool group must own a paid faculty/staff parking permit. Each employee in a carpool group that owns a maximum of one (1) CSUF parking permit will receive $1 for every day they carpool to campus. Employees in a carpool group that own more than one CSUF parking permit will receive 50¢ per day.

Bus - Orange County

The E-Pass program is available to all CSUF faculty and staff who commute to campus by OCTA bus. Employees may pick up a bus pass from the Parking and Transportation Office. The pass can be swiped through the fare box inside an Orange County Transportation Authority (OCTA) bus in order to have the fare automatically paid on all local routes. For Commute Planning assistance or route information, please call 714-636-RIDE (7433) or visit the Parking & Transportation office on campus in T-1400.

Bus - L.A. and Other Counties

Employees can receive monthly reimbursements when riding Metro (MTA) or other transit agencies. Eligible participants who live outside Orange County and use MTA or other transit service that connects with OCTA bus routes can be reimbursed 25 to 100 percent of the monthly cost. Participants who do not own a parking permit may be reimbursed 100 percent of the monthly cost ($75 maximum). Participants who choose to keep their permit may be reimbursed 25 percent of the monthly cost ($19 maximum). For Commute Planning assistance and bus schedules, please call 1-800-COMMUTE or visit the Parking & Transportation office on campus in T-1400.


Employees may receive monthly reimbursements when commuting to campus by Metrolink or Amtrak. Participants who do not own a parking permit may receive a 100 percent reimbursement (up to $120). Participants who keep their parking permits can receive 25 percent (up to $30) a month.

Transportation to and from Train Stations

OCTA provides transportation between the Anaheim Canyon rail station (Route #24) and the Fullerton Transportation Center (Route #26) to CSUF. With a Metrolink pass, there is no fee to board an OCTA bus.


Vanpooling is a group of more than 5 people who commute together on a regular basis in a van leased from Enterprise Rideshare. Participants who do not own a parking permit may receive a vanpool subsidy up to $120. Participants who choose to keep their parking permits can receive a $30 subsidy. Employees will receive the maximum subsidy for the first three months regardless of parking permit ownership status.

To find a vanpool, visiting the Enterprise Vanpool website.

CSUF Vanpool formation meetings are held once potential riders from a specific area have been identified. For more information, contact Commuter Services at ext. 4699.

All Commuter Rewards and Reimbursements are disbursed monthly in the form of a check or direct deposit.

Supplementary Programs

Also available to CSUF employees are several Commuter Choice Supplementary programs:

Rideshare Permits - Rideshare Permits (Infrequent Need Daily Parking Permits) are available to participants without parking permits. Employees who need to drive to campus my print out two (2) complimentary daily parking permits per month. Other restrictions apply; read the complete Rideshare Permit Policies and Procedures.

Inclement Weather Parking Permits - During inclement weather days, registered walkers and cyclists without parking permits can print out complimentary daily parking permits. Restrictions apply.

Guaranteed Return Trip (GRT) - In case of illness or an emergency, participants in GRT can receive a ride home free of charge. The Commuter Choice Program contracts with Yellow Cab taxi to provide this service. Restrictions apply; read the complete GRT Policies and Procedures.

Recruitment Bonus - Employees who recruit another eligible employee into the Commuter Choice Program can receive $25 in Commuter Rewards. Restrictions apply; read the complete Recruitment Bonus Policies and Procedures.

Drawings - Active participants in the Commuter Choice Program are entered into quarterly and yearly drawings. Restrictions apply; read the complete Drawings Policies and Procedures.

Employee Assistance Program (EAP)

The University is committed to providing resources for employees to address many work/life issues. The University’s EAP, provided by LifeMatters through Empathia, and is available 24/7 by calling 800-367-7474. A live representative will answer a call and confidentially address needs concerning a wide range of issues, including:

  • Work Life Balance
  • Legal matters and financial questions
  • Emotional or stress related issues
  • Parenting or child care resources
  • Pet care
  • Real Estate

Access to the broad range of services offered by LifeMatters is also available through its website, mylifematters.com. Sign in using the campus code Titans to obtain educational information, useful links, help locating child and elder care providers, self-assessment tests and many other useful resources.

For any questions about this program, please contact LifeMatters at 800-367-7474, or Alisha Brown, the University’s EAP Manager, at 657-278-2824, to discuss services or continuation of care.

Participation in LifeMatters is limited to University employees and members of their households. Student employees may contact the University’s Counseling & Psychological Services at 657-278-3040.

Disability Accommodations

In accordance with applicable federal and state laws and regulations, the University has established procedures to ensure that any employee or applicant for employment with a disability will not, on the basis of that disability, be denied access to any program, service, or opportunity provided by the campus.

Any employee requesting an accommodation must be able to perform the essential functions of his or her position with or without an accommodation. The request should be made to the respective Department Chair and the Disability Accommodations Manager located in Human Resources, Diversity and Inclusion (HRDI) (ext. 5187, CP-700). The required forms for requesting an accommodation can be found on the HRDI website under the “Workers Compensation/ADA” tab.

All requests require the completion of the appropriate forms, and medical verifications may be necessary. A verification from a medical professional is required to identify work restrictions and to obtain timelines for any requested accommodations. Accommodations need not be the “best” solution but a reasonable solution.

All student requests for accommodations are handled by Disability Support Services located in UH-101 or at ext. 3112.

Professional and Organizational Development

Established in 2014 within the Division of Human Resources, Diversity and Inclusion, Professional and Organizational Development (POD) is committed to enhancing professional and leadership development opportunities for CSUF faculty, management, and staff in order to support retention and engagement throughout all stages of their career. POD is recognized for:

  • Facilitating career development and empowerment
  • Enhancing personal and professional growth
  • Supporting the Strategic Plan

Child Care

The Children’s Center provides quality child care services for students and employees of the University. The Center is accredited by the National Association for the Education of Young Children and is administered by the Associated Students Inc. Although priority is given to the children of CSUF students, up to 25 percent of the available openings are reserved for children of faculty and staff. Faculty members who anticipate the need for child care are encouraged to apply as early as possible. Rates, the application, and other information pertaining to the center’s child care services are available by visiting the Children’s Center office, or calling ext. 2961.

Outside Employment

Outside employment shall not conflict with normal work assignments or satisfactory performance of all duties of faculty unit employee according to Collective Bargaining Agreement article 35.

Full-time faculty members are required to provide a written statement when requested of all outside employment where such outside employment is expected to amount to more than:

  1. 160 hours per semester for academic-year faculty members;
  2. 120 hours per three-month period for faculty members in twelve (12) month positions. (e.g., 12 month Chairs, Directors)

Additional Employment

Additional employment refers to any employment compensated by Cal State University (CSU) general funds or non-general funds including CSU auxiliaries, that is in addition to the primary or normal employment of a faculty unit employee according to the Collective Bargaining Agreement Article 36. An “overage” of up to twenty five percent (25%) of a full-time workload or, when appropriate, time-base shall be allowed if the overage employment:

  1. Consists of employment of a substantially different nature than primary employment;
  2. Is funded from non-general funding source;
  3. Is the result of the accrual of part-time employment on more than one (1) campus;
  4. Is necessary to meet a temporary faculty employee’s entitlement to full-time work, or to offer work to a part-time temporary faculty employee up to full time under provision 12.29 (a) (8) or (b) (9) of the CBA.

In calculating the overage, the applicable time period for twelve (12) month faculty unit employees shall be the calendar year, exclusive of the faculty unit employee’s earned vacation periods. The applicable time period for ten (10) month or academic year faculty unit employees shall be the academic year, exclusive of time periods between academic years, time periods between academic terms, and the vacation periods of a faculty unit employee. For academic year or ten (10) month faculty unit employees, additional employment and overload limits (125%) shall be calculated and applied independently during summer periods.

Teaching through Extension

In consultation with the academic department chair, Cal State Fullerton faculty may be offered the opportunity to teach Extension self-support credit and/or non-credit classes during the fall, winter, spring, and/or summer terms as an additional and voluntary assignment for additional pay. The provisions that cover Extension instructional employment are detailed in Article 36-Additional Employment and Article 40-Extension for Credit Employment of the Unit 3 Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Intellectual Property Rights

Cal State University (CSU) Executive Order 644 delegates to the campuses the authority to develop and revise intellectual property policies. Intellectual property rights of faculty are also covered in Article 39 (Intellectual Property Rights) of the CSU-California Faculty Association Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Research Support

Faculty members are encouraged to seek outside funding to support their research and other creative activities, with both pre- and post-award assistance provided by the Office of Grants and Contracts within the Office of Research and Sponsored Projects and Office of Sponsored Program (within CSU Fullerton Auxillary Services Corporation), respectively.

The Office of Research and Sponsored Projects (ORSP)

The Office of Research and Sponsored Projects (ORSP) comprises several units dedicated to supporting faculty research, creative activities and institutional projects through all phases of proposal development, research compliance, and pre-award (e.g., submission, contracts and negotiation) and works closely with CSU Fullerton Axillary Services Corporation on post-award administration. ORSP works with other units throughout the campus to seek external funding for faculty research and creative activities that support the educational and service mission of the university. Collaboration is promoted across disciplines, departments, and community partners in preparing proposals to federal, state, and private agencies, ORSP also oversees the faculty intramural grant programs and coordinates campus-wide student research initiatives and competitions. ORSP is led by an Associate Vice President for Research and Sponsored Projects, with lead staff in each of the following support units: Research Development, Grants and Contracts, and Research Compliance. Services for Post Award Management are provided by the Office of Sponsored Programs within the CSU Fullerton Axillary Services Corporation.

Office of Research Development (ORD)

The Office of Research Development (ORD) provides assistance, guidance and consultation in developing high-quality, competitive proposals, from concept to proposal submission. ORD identifies and provides support to current and potential “hot topic” areas where there have been increases in federal grant funding and/or additional funding is anticipated. It also tracks other funding opportunities through agencies and programs the university has traditionally not pursued, and assists in strategically positioning university programs and collaborative efforts for successful funding and institutionalization.

Office of Research Compliance (ORC)

The Office of Research Compliance (ORC) oversees the ORSP’s goal of helping facilitate research to ensure all is conducted safely, ethically, and legally. ORSP uses the Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative (CITI) Program to provide trainings for Human Subjects (i.e., Institutional Review Board, IRB) and Animal Welfare research (i.e., Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee, IACUC), Financial Conflicts of Interest, Research Integrity, Export Controls and to fulfill federal Responsible Conduct of Research (RCR) requirements. The CSUF Responsible Conduct of Research Plan can be found by visiting the Research Compliance website.

For additional information call the Research Compliance Officer at ext. 4544.

Office of Grants and Contracts (OGC)

OGC staff assist faculty in pre-award activities including, but not limited to, the review and interpretation of funding agency guidelines; proposal preparation and completion; university approvals; and submission of grant application to external funding agencies. This office also serves as lead in the review of grant awards and in the issuance, review, and negotiation of contracts, subcontracts, and related agreements (MOUs, MTAs, NDAs, etc.).

For additional information, contact OGC at ext. 2106.

Grant Post Award Processing

A Grant Post Award Assistant (GPA) serves as a consultant/resource to grant Principal Investigators (PIs) and to department/college staff in helping to manage the various aspects of external grants (e.g., tracking budgets, ordering supplies, hiring students, processing travel, check requests, consultant payments, subcontracts, faculty release/additional pay requests, etc.). The GPA works closely with the Office of Sponsored Programs to provide appropriate orientation and training to PIs and to department/college staff regarding Auxiliary Services Corporation procedures.

The Office of Sponsored Programs (OSP)

OSP oversees the post-award administration of grants and contracts awarded to the University through the CSU Fullerton Auxiliary Services Corporation. Services include invoicing and grant accounting review and submission of required reports handling audits and negotiation of the University’s Indirect Cost (IDC) agreements. OSP also ensures responsible stewardship of sponsored funds to guarantee efficiency and cost effectiveness in Auxiliary Services Corporation (ASC) operations. All procedures and actions are designed to conform to federal and state laws and regulations, CUS, university and ASC policies.

For additional information, contact OSP at ext. 4110 or Sponsored Programs.

Faculty Early Retirement Program (FERP)

Eligible tenured faculty who have reached the age of 55 may elect to participate in the Faculty Early Retirement Program (FERP). This program allows participants to be granted a service retirement and continue to be employed full-time for one semester in the academic year or to be employed half-time both semesters in the academic year. Under the current policy, participants are entitled to the yearly period of employment for no more than five consecutive academic or fiscal years. Refer to the Article 29 of the Faculty Collective Bargaining Agreement for additional information.

Pre-Retirement Reduction in Time Base (PRTB)

Pre-Retirement Reduction in Time Base (PRTB) is a program that allows eligible faculty to work less than full-time for up to five years prior to retirement while continuing to accrue full service credit toward retirement. Eligible faculty members must be tenured and employed in the Cal State University (CSU) for at least 10 years full-time with the five years immediately preceding PRTB having been continuous full-time employment, and must meet the age requirement of 55 years of age through 64 years of age (63 years if a member of the State Teachers’ Retirement System) at time of request. Contact Human Resources, Diversity and Inclusion (HRDI) at ext. 2425 or visit the HRDI website for more information.

Visas and Immigration Status

Some faculty members will have questions pertaining to immigration status and visas. These individuals should contact the Human Resources, Diversity and Inclusion, Employment Services in CP-700 or at ext. 2425. Information can also be found at the Immigration page on Human Resources, Diversity and Inclusion website.



An academic employee who does not plan to return the following year should present a written resignation to his/her Department Chair before April 15th. Letters of resignation are routed from the Department Chair to the College Dean and staff within Human Resources, Diversity and Inclusion (HRDI) for appropriate disposition and record keeping. The employee is responsible for returning all University property, including keys and library materials as well as all outstanding property/equipment. All employees should use the separation process accessible. Forms to secure retirement account refunds are available in Payroll, Benefits and Retirement Services (CP-770, ext. 2521).


Faculty members who plan to retire should inform their Department Chair in writing and provide a planned effective date. These letters are directed to the President but routed via the Department Chair, College Dean, Office of Faculty Affairs and Records, and the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs. Faculty members need to contact Payroll, Benefits and Retirement Services (CP-770, ext. 2521) regarding retirement eligibility and continuation of benefits.

End of Temporary Appointment

Appointment letters to temporary employees (lecturers) indicate that appointments automatically expire at the end of the period stated and do not establish consideration for subsequent appointments or any further appointment rights. No other notice will be provided. The employee is responsible for returning all University property, including keys and library materials, as well as all outstanding property/equipment.

All employees should use the separation process accessible. Forms to secure retirement account refunds are available in Payroll, Benefits and Retirement Services (CP-770, ext. 2521).