May 24, 2024  
2022-2023 University Catalog 
2022-2023 University Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

California SLP Licensure

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Academic Departments and Programs

The speech-language pathology license is required to work as a speech-language pathologist in all settings in California except for the public school and in certain exempt federal employment settings. The license is awarded by the Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology Board (SLPAB) of the Medical Board of California.

The Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology and Hearing Aid Dispensers Board regulates the practices of speech-language pathology, audiology and hearing aid dispensing in California by licensing those who meet minimum standards of competency.

Students should be familiar with the specific requirements for licensure during their last year of graduate studies. A copy of the “Student Manual for Licensure in Speech Pathology and Audiology” may be obtained directly from the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association and SLPAB at the following addresses and telephone numbers:

American Speech-Language-Hearing Association
Certification Department
2200 Research Boulevard, #313
Rockville, MD 20850
(301) 296-5700

Speech-Language-Pathology and Audiology Board
2005 Evergreen Street, Suite 2100
Sacramento, CA 95815
(916) 263-2666

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Academic Departments and Programs