Jul 19, 2024  
2019-2020 University Catalog 
2019-2020 University Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Communicative Disorders Licensure

The speech-language pathology license is required to work as a speech-language pathologist in all settings in California except for the public school and in certain exempt federal employment settings. The license is awarded by the Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology Board (SLPAB) of the Medical Board of California to those who (a) complete the M.A. Degree in speech-language pathology, (b) complete the required clinical practicum by taking prescribed practicum courses, (c) pass the National Examination in Speech-Language Pathology, (d) successfully complete a Required Professional Experience (RPE) and (e) submit the appropriate application materials to SLPAB.

Although students will have met or exceeded the academic and clinical practicum requirements for licensure in California by the time they complete their M.A. degree and the last of the clinical practicum courses that are required for the Certificate of Clinical Competence in Speech-Language Pathology (ASHA), they should still become familiar with the specific requirements for licensure during their last year of graduate studies. A copy of the “Student Manual for Licensure in Speech Pathology and Audiology” may be obtained directly from ASHA and SLPAB at the following addresses and telephone numbers:

American Speech-Language-Hearing Association
Certification Department
2200 Research Boulevard, #313
Rockville, MD 20850
(301) 296-5700

Speech-Language-Pathology and Audiology Board
2005 Evergreen Street, Suite 2100
Sacramento, CA 95815
Telephone 916-263-2666