Mar 03, 2024
Master of Science in Information Systems
Concentrations in the M.S. in Information Systems are Business Analytics, Decision Sciences and IS Management. For students with an undergraduate degree in business administration, the curriculum may be completed in one to two-and-a-half years, depending on the number of courses taken per semester. Students with a bachelor’s degree in a field other than business administration are eligible to apply; however, such students will be required to complete additional courses or demonstrate proficiency as described under the Curriculum requirements below.
Cal State Fullerton is the only university in Orange County accredited by the AACSB International at the undergraduate and graduate level for both accounting and business administration.
Most graduate courses in the Mihaylo College of Business Administration and Economics (MCBE) require “classified MCBE status” and are open only to students with classified standing in the M.S. in Information Systems, M.S. in Information Technology, M.S. in Taxation, M.A. in Economics, and MBA or M.S. in Accountancy programs.
Admission is competitive. Students must meet the CSU requirements for admission to a master’s degree program. Please consult the Graduate Admissions section in this catalog for complete information. In addition, applicants will be evaluated based on the following:
- Satisfactory grade point average (GPA) and a satisfactory score on the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) or Graduate Record Exam (GRE). Preferential admission will be given to applicants who have an overall GMAT or GRE score in the 50th percentile or above, and who have a GPA of at least 3.0
- A bachelor’s degree with a major in business administration, equivalent to the degree as offered at CSUF. The degree must include calculus equivalent to passing MATH 135 with a “C” (2.0) or better. Students with a bachelor’s degree in a field other than business administration are eligible to apply. However such students will be required to complete additional courses or demonstrate proficiency as described under the Curriculum requirements below. Courses in the major that are more than seven years old must be evaluated/validated for currency
- For international students, a minimum score of 570 on the TOEFL exam or 88 on the internet based test (IBT) is required, or a minimum score of 7 on IELTS is required
- Recommendation from the ISDS Admission Committee based upon a review of the above requirements, the student’s “Statement of Purpose” and prior work experience. Additional coursework may be required of conditionally admitted students who holistically satisfy the criteria but are weak in one of the above areas
An overall 3.0 (B) GPA is required in study plan courses and all applicable coursework. Any study plan course with a grade lower than “C” (2.0) must be repeated with at a “C” (2.0) or better.
Business Foundation Courses
Students admitted with a bachelor’s degree in a field other than business administration will be required to complete the following foundation courses. The foundation course requirements can be waived if students have previously completed equivalent courses.
Required Courses (6 units)
At least 21 of the 30 units required for the Master of Science in Information Systems degree must be at the 500 level.
Capstone Course (3 units)
Students must complete the capstone course with a “B” (3.0) or better.
* Students must obtain department approval to enroll in these courses
Business Analytics Concentration (12 units)